Everyone with any assets or children for whom they wish to appoint a testamentary guardian.
When a loved one dies there is often a lot to sort out. Beyond the practicalities of registering the death and arranging the funeral there are important legal and financial ends to tie up and that is where we can help.
The Grant of Representation (Probate if there is a Will or Administration if there is no Will) is the legal name for the document which will enable those responsible (Executors if there is a Will or Administrators if there is no Will) to deal with the assets and liabilities of the estate.
If you have been appointed as an Executor in the Will or you are one of the closest members of family of the person who has died you may need to take advice because dealing with the administration of the estate can be complex. You will, for instance, need to find out about the value of the person’s possessions and make sure that any Inheritance Tax is paid to HM Revenue and Customs.
At TV Edwards, we’re here to guide you through the process from beginning to end.
Wills and Tax Planning
If you want to decide how your estate should be distributed after you have died you should make a Will. Where someone dies without having made a valid Will their assets may not necessarily be distributed in the way they would have wanted or in a tax efficient manner.
We specialise in pre and post death matters, including:
- preparing Wills, including advising on Inheritance Tax
- preparing trusts, particularly trusts for disabled people
- preparing and registering Lasting Powers of Attorney
- applications to the Court of Protection in the case of mental incapacity
- post-death family arrangements
- applications for grant of letters of administration or grant of probate including dealing with HM Revenue and Customs requirements
- collecting in and distributing an estate and preparing final estate accounts
- resolving disputes about Wills or about the management of an estate.
Where Legal Aid is not available we can quote you a competitive fixed price for our work.
Click here to find out more.